Lock in resolution

Discuss the various Roku channels developed by TheEndless

Lock in resolution

Postby Osea » Sun May 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Ios app and android apps provide a way to adjust the streaming resolution. Whenever I load streams it constantly adjusts the resolution every few seconds and once it settles on a high enough resolution sometimes the audio completely drops out (twitch.tv app). I was wondering if the up/down buttons could be used to move from auto to selecting a resolution from the available resolutions... Make it auto by default, this would be available in video player...

Thanks,

Osea
Osea

Re: Lock in resolution

Postby TheEndless » Mon May 06, 2013 2:43 am

Unfortunately, the Roku SDK doesn't really provide a way to do this.
TheEndless
Site Admin

Postby Osea » Tue May 07, 2013 1:08 am

That is unfortunate :(. Don't you have to provide it with a playlist for all the different resolutions? My limited understanding is there is effectively a URL per resolution, so if the stream playlist were altered to only contain a certain resolution you should be able to force it to stream at a certain resolution...

-SP
Osea

Postby TheEndless » Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 am

The playlist is provided by the Twitch.tv servers. Modifying on the client is not an option for a couple of reasons.. the main one being that the Roku won't read local HLS playlists for some reason.

That aside, there is no way to change the actively streaming video, so changing between different streams would require dropping out of the video and restarting it each time.
TheEndless
Site Admin

Return to Roku Software