Are Justin TV servers down?

Discuss the various Roku channels developed by TheEndless

Are Justin TV servers down?

Postby inthemiddle » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Are the Justin TV servers down? Reason I need to ask, is that for the last few days, all channels display messages of being offline, despite active screenshot icons. It also doesn't initialize. Non-Justin tv apps work while this issue ensues. For example, Instead of being able to see FOX NEWS (which is usually "renamed" daily), I had to settle for Roku's BBC News app, or Wisconsin Channels "Science Now" from PBS, on another private app. With this all the sudden becoming a more regular occurrence, is there an update coming or is Justin TV doing maintenance on the issue? Tonight (Thurs) is the 2nd time, Tues was the first I had noticed this. It was working on Wednesday.
inthemiddle

Re: Are Justin TV servers down?

Postby TheEndless » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:50 am

It's hard to say, honestly. Justin.tv made some changes a few weeks back that broke a lot of the "private" streams in the Roku channel. I contacted them about it, and the issue seemed to clear itself up, but I didn't hear back from them as to whether or not they changed anything. It's possible the same is happening again. I'll try reaching out to them again, but the Roku channel is not officially supported, and it uses a few hacks to get access to the streams, so I won't hold out too much hope for a response...
TheEndless
Site Admin

Postby inthemiddle » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:37 am

"BenzNewz," which could be a FOX News backup, shows an icon. Although you can click to view it, "BenzNewz" crashes the whole app. I attempted to look up the "BenzNewz" and "Our news" on Justin TV, with no results, live or past broadcast. If any problems were fixed, be forewarned that they are still persistent, on this channel. This issue had been present now for a few weeks, on this channel. I noticed it since the "other" FOX News carrier keeps moving and changing names, unlike "CNN" and "Real CNN," who's channel names are constant. I thought maybe I could watch "Benz" and make a favorite. Turned out not.
inthemiddle

Postby inthemiddle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Another issue, which may be related....

Seems that when I look for channels, it takes several "refreshes" to get a single channel to show up. For example, Under "News and Events", you go to "All" and see nothing but the refresh button. No other channels come up, until you continually press "refresh." This never was like this before a month ago.

I also notice some channels don't connect, until you find and then play them in their categories.
inthemiddle

Postby TheEndless » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 pm

inthemiddle wrote:Another issue, which may be related....

Seems that when I look for channels, it takes several "refreshes" to get a single channel to show up. For example, Under "News and Events", you go to "All" and see nothing but the refresh button. No other channels come up, until you continually press "refresh." This never was like this before a month ago.

I also notice some channels don't connect, until you find and then play them in their categories.

Yeah. That's all going to be down to the Justin.tv API. They seem to have issues like that occasionally. I've got an email into them detailing the issues and asking for some assistance, but haven't heard back, yet.
TheEndless
Site Admin

Postby inthemiddle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Appears that quite a few channels tonight will not initialize. Similar to the original problem, but not all channels are like that. Most of them will not initialize. They are on, with icons, but just won't play, due to instant error message. Hope Justin TV gets it together.

I don't know how to program, but have you thought of a Ustream channel, where you can save favorites? I like watching KRON 4 news on there, and a few other goodies. But have to search those out.
inthemiddle

Return to Roku Software